Wednesday 24 October 2012

26.2 Miles

So...here it begins, a journey into not quite the unknown but there is an uncertainty of how this is all going to pan out!

I'm nevertheless excited to begin this new adventure, I've got 6 months to train, it's a realistic amount of time to prepare for a full marathon. Isn't it?!!!

I suppose the first question I should answer or try to answer is why am I putting myself through such an ordeal! I say ordeal because I know that's how others view it, but I'm quite excited, not just about taking part in the run but the whole training process. I've been working with a personal trainer for the best part of 2012 but not for anything as major as a full marathon.

 So, the answer to the question?!

 No idea! It's just something I feel I need to do as much as want to. Maybe it's because I've been conversing with so many others who have caught the 'running bug!' Maybe it's because my neighbour competed a marathon this year and not just a marathon...'THE' marathon. The London Marathon...need I say more....

I do feel like I'm part of a special family withing the health/fitness/running community. I identify with the need to workout..for each individual there may be different reasons..for me it's very important for my mental health as much as a physical need/want.
I was not only proud to complete a half marathon on Sunday but I was extremely proud for doing it all by myself. Once I was dropped off at the venue, it was all up to me..and I got through it without any anxiety. Ofcourse I had some nervous butterflies, but I felt it was just a normal runners excited, nervous feeling rather than a building of illogical, irrational thoughts leading to full blown anxiety!

So today was decision day.. I AM taking part in the Manchester Marathon on 28th April. I have a cruise to look forward to beginning on Saturday to relax and not only enjoy myself, but to focus on the task ahead of me on my return. I have an appointment booked for a full health check with the nurse including blood tests to see exactly what my body is up to at the moment. I've been having some night sweats sporadically for a while now so a check wouldn't hurt even if I wasn't entering a marathon!
My first PT session since the half is tomorrow and I'm looking forward to resetting goals and changing up the training plan to accomodate my new goals which are to be at my best for the run ofcourse, including weight loss, stamina, strength and nutrition. It all needs to be considered!
Part of  the rest and repair process is to get enough sleep so I am actually going to leave it here..I guess this is day 1 and it's been great. It feels right...it feels great actually...onwards to eating clean...training mean and getting lean!

Goodnight Bloggers!

1 comment: